Western Union makes it easy to send money to loved ones who are currently serving time at a US correctional facility.
Western Union gives you four convenient options for transferring money. Send with our mobile app, on WU.com, by phone, or at one of our 47,000 agent locations around the country.
You’ll just need the name of the correctional facility, the inmate’s name and account number to begin your money transfer.
Send money on the go anytime with our app.
1. Open the WU® app and log in with username and password (Touch ID if applicable) or download the app and register.
2. Select ‘Send money to inmate’.
3. Provide the name of the correctional facility, inmate's name and account number.
4. Enter credit3 or debit card information.
5. Await the confirmation email with tracking number (MTCN) of your transaction.
Prefer to make payments in person? Send money from one of over 47,000 agent locations across the country.
1. Head to a nearby Western Union® agent location.
2. Provide the agent with the name of the correctional facility, inmate’s name and account number.
3. Pay using cash or debit card issued from a bank in the United States.
4. Take your receipt with the tracking number (MTCN) of your transaction.
Need to fund a commissary account by phone? It’s easy:
1. Call 1-800-CALL-CASH (1-800-225-5227) to send money using a credit3 or debit card.
2. Follow the prompts and provide the requested information. You’ll need the correctional facility name, inmate’s account number, inmate’s complete name & send amount.
3. Save your tracking number (MTCN) as proof of payment.
Pay for your money transfer in the US using your credit3 or debit card, with cash, Apple Pay® or transfer funds directly from your bank account.
Save time when you send money to a loved one by completing your money transfer in the Western Union® app. You can also start in the app and finish paying at a nearby agent location by choosing the choose the “Pay in cash” option.
Variety of facilities offered
Send money to inmates at county, state and federal correctional facilities.
Convenient agent locations
More than 47,000 Western Union® agent locations across the US.
We are a reliable option to support loved ones in correctional facilities.
1 Date available will be displayed on receipt for international transfers over $15. Service and funds may be delayed or unavailable depending on certain factors including the Service selected, the selection of delayed delivery options, special terms applicable to each Service, amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, consumer protection issues, identification requirements, delivery restrictions, agent location hours, and differences in time zones (collectively, "Restrictions"). Additional restrictions may apply; see our terms and conditions for details.
2 Western Union also makes money from currency exchange. When choosing a money transmitter, carefully compare both transfer fees and exchange rates. Fees, foreign exchange rates and taxes may vary by brand, channel, and location based on a number of factors. Fees and rates subject to change without notice.
3 If you're using a credit card, a card-issuer cash advance fee and associated interest charges may apply. You can avoid these fees by using a debit card.